4.x -> 5.x

Mike Hoskins mike at adept.org
Wed Nov 5 00:08:25 PST 2003

quick question -- please CC me, i am not currently subscribed to
-questions...  (TIA.)

i'm throwing together a "migrating from 4.x to 5.x" doc targetted at
beginning - intermediate audiences.  i say that, because a large part of
the doc is an "install" section with a step by step (including
screenshots) installation guide.

the first thing i address is backing up local customizations to the 4.x
environment.  things like /etc, /usr/local/etc, databases, etc.

my question is, what's the best way to move 4.x packages to 5.x?  i'm
not talking binaries of course, but reproducing the set of installed
packages from data in /var/db/pkg.  i've read through the man pages for
pkg*, portupgrade, etc...  and i'm thinking it may be simple enough to
just tar /var/db/pkg under 4.x, restore under 5.x, and then portupgrade
the tree.  i've tried it with a couple ports and it works, but i haven't
tried it with an entire tree yet (more complex, with more dependencies to
keep straight).  am i headed in the right direction, or is this a "bad
idea".  :)  this is just to get the "same set of binaries" back on the 5.x
system, merging configs, etc. is given it's own blurbage.

thanks,

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher at adept.org>
To: spam-catcher at adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!