vlc installation in /usr/ports/multimedia take too long...

Mark Terribile materribile at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 00:01:03 PST 2003

Rommel B. IKEDA writes:

>I was jsut wondering...How LONG does it take for the
>"/usr/ports/multimedia/vlc" take to get it installed?
>
>I made a "make install clean" on the afternoon November 1st and
>since it did not finished immediately I had to leave my PC on
>until Today, November 4th...The last time I installed OpenOffice
>from Ports, it did not took me 24 Hours to successfully compile
>it...but "vlc" has not stopped yet...Looking at the output, it
>seems that it is displaying the  same outputs

I saw this happen when I started to install ports.  Some ports
that had deep dependency lists _somehow_ caused Make to go into
an infinite loop in the  configure  target.

I worked around it by cleaning up everything (removing the
files beginning with `.' that are used to indicate that stages
are done, as well as the  work/  directories), then doing some
of the lower-level ports individually before the upper-level ones.

This is not to say that some ports don't have long compiles, but
if you are seeing the same output over and over, especially if it
looks like lots of short compilations and some messages about what
facilities are available, you may be hitting this problem.

Please let me know if this helps.

      Mark Terribile