Ssh missing 'login as' prompt

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sun Nov 2 18:15:27 PST 2003

"Mike Loiterman" <mike at ascendency.net> writes:

> That works but only temporarily.  The next time I login, it goes
> directly to the password prompt.  Am I fooling myself?  Is it any
> more secure to get a login as: prompt and then a password prompt as
> compared to just going directly to a password prompt?

The initiating side has to provide a username before it does anything
else, so I don't understand what you think you're gaining.  Certainly
the machine you connect to won't notice any difference either way, and
if you can't trust the machine you're connecting from, you're dead in
the water (security-wise) anyway.