Doh ! Installed FBSD5.0 and no more dual boot

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat May 31 19:29:09 PDT 2003

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:45:44 +0900, lukek <lukek at meibin.net> wrote:

> OK thanks for the offer of assistance. The machine in question has two
> drives ad0 and ad1. On ad0 there was a native NTFS partition with Win2K
> installed. On a separate partion I had Redhat. I decided to get rid of
> the
> redhat installation and use FreeBSD again. So I installed
> FreeBSD-5.0Release. It had its way with the MBR and now Win2K cannot
> boot.

I kind of doubt FreeBSD-5 "had its way with the MBR," or at least a FreeBSD
installation has never done anything to the MBR I haven't told it to
(correctly or mistakenly;).  See whether the Win2K partition is set active.

> cannot use the recovery option because I cannot for the life of me
> remember
> the admin passwd.

Doh! indeed.  Then if setting the Win2K partition active doesn't work, I'm
out of better options than your suggestion to do a fresh install and mount
the old Win2K partition from there. But I'm no guru.  Anyone else have a
suggestion?

Jud