booting into windows changes active partition on dualboot system

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Wed May 28 17:31:31 PDT 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003 02:52:21 -0700, yussef <yussef at claygirl.org> wrote:

> I have a dualboot system with freebsd 4.8 installed on the primary
> slice, and win2k installed on the secondary slice. The OS' were
> installed in this order. Ive installed many fbsd/win2k dualboot systems
> before [usually with windows as the primary slice, and bsd and the
> secondary], always using the fbsd boot manager, and never having any
> problems going between os's. However, on this system, as long as i boot
> into bsd all is fine. But when i boot into windows, the windows slice
> becomes the active slice, thus when i reboot, i cant access either
> slice. i have to boot off a fbsd cd, then rewrite the bootmanager
> [resetting the bsd slice to be the bootable slice]. The other option i
> have is to manually set the bsd partition as active, while still in bsd,
> then rebooting works fine. I've never seen this problem before, and tho
> i accept it as a sign from the unix gods as which os i should use ;) i
> would still like eliminate this issue.
> thank you
>
> yussef

You will have to install a boot manager capable of "fooling" Windows into
thinking it is booting from the first slice/partition.  Grub is in the
ports system and works well.  Smart Boot Manager has already been
suggested.  GAG is a nice free boot manager that I use.  BootItNG is a nice
shareware boot manager I did use for a long time.  I haven't tried XOSL,
but ISTR reading that it can do what you need.

There, that should be enough choices to get started.  :)

Jud