booting into windows changes active partition on dualboot system

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue May 27 06:44:59 PDT 2003

> I have a dualboot system with freebsd 4.8 installed on the primary
> slice, and win2k installed on the secondary slice. The OS' were
> installed in this order. Ive installed many fbsd/win2k dualboot systems
> before [usually with windows as the primary slice, and bsd and the
> secondary], always using the fbsd boot manager, and never having any
> problems going between os's.
> However, on this system, as long as i boot
> into bsd all is fine. But when i boot into windows, the windows slice
> becomes the active slice, thus when i reboot, i cant access either
> slice. i have to boot off a fbsd cd, then rewrite the bootmanager
> [resetting the bsd slice to be the bootable slice]. The other option i
> have is to manually set the bsd partition as active, while still in bsd,
> then rebooting works fine. I've never seen this problem before, and tho
> i accept it as a sign from the unix gods as which os i should use ;) i
> would still like eliminate this issue.
> thank you

I think you probably need to go back and install the FreeBSD MBR
over the W2K one which got written over the FreeBSD one when you
did the W2K install (MSs is like that - doesn't give you a choice).
I think you can use boot0cfg to do it, but I've never used that
utility (always installed FreeBSD second).

////jerry