Installation problems: filesystem is (not) full

Raphaël Marmier raphael at computer-rental.ch
Sun May 25 15:16:12 PDT 2003

Le dimanche, 25 mai 2003, à 11:04 Europe/Zurich, Tom Verbreyt a écrit :

> write failure on transfer (wrote -1 bytes of 240640 bytes)
> unable to transfer the base distribution from acd0
> / : write failed, filesystem is full
>
> and on VT4:
>
> pid 131 (cpio), uid 0 inumber 171 on /: filesystem is full

You are not alone. It happened to me a number of time with 4.8. I was
trying to install FreeBSD on a laptop on the first partition while
keeping the extended partition (where an image of windows was stored
for future restauration). I tried every possible scenarion I could
think of, to no avail.

I tried to investigate a bit. It looks like the installation program
was trying to install files to the actual root fs, rather than on the
new filesystems mounted under /mnt. Of course, that root mfs fills up
in a second...

The fix for me was to take write down the partition table on a scrap of
paper, suppress all but the intended partition (slice), set its type to
FreeBSD, install (this time it works), then restore the other
partitions (slices) in the table.

Don't forget to backup your data before doing that!

slightly off-topic, I've had other installation problems when other
partitions (slices) are already present on a system: the disklabel
utility refuses quite often to create volumes, either in automatic or
manual mode. Deleting the whole partition (slices) table always solved
the problem.

Raphael Marmier