xmms fails occasionally

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Sat May 24 11:28:01 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:00:26PM +0200, Francesco Casadei wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 10:10:53AM -0700, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> > dunno why.  it will finish playing a song occasionally, then beep and
> > pop up an error message that says it couldn't find the appropriate
> > plugin or the device is busy (audio device i assume).  I'm not running
> > any other a/v applications to take over the device besides KDE.  what
> > might possibly cause this phenomena?

I got around this by telling the OSS output driver in xmms to use
/dev/dspW0.2 rather than /dev/dspW.  This is with a SBLive! card that
supports multiple virtual output channels.  I believe that dspW0.0 through
dspW0.3 are mixed into the single real output channel by the hardware.
Obviously I read about this somewhere, but I can't for the life of me
remember where.  I assume the existence of these extra channels will be
hardware-specific, so this trick might not work with your card.

	Scott