C compiler can't creat executables

David Banning david at skytracker.ca
Thu May 22 18:24:48 PDT 2003

I recently deleted a number of packages in /var/db/pkg I -thought- I didn't
need. On installing linux_base now I get the following error;
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... cc
checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
      Please report the problem to nakai at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
      the "/usr/ports/archivers/rpm/work/rpm-3.0.6/config.log" including the
      output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good
      idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
      (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/archivers/rpm.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base.

I tried to compile a simple program which worked fine. How would
I go about tracking this problem down?