Lockmaster locking against itself???

Jack L. Stone jackstone at sage-one.net
Wed May 21 13:53:15 PDT 2003

### Mail server running 4.7-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD ###

The above mail server in one of my networks and it has been mysteriously
crashing or rebooting about once weekly or so. Usually what will trigger it
is a remote ssh session when su to root. I can get by with several sessions
before that happens.

In checking hardware, I've changed:
1) NIC
2) Cable
3) Whole computer
4) Replaced HD with clone of original system & content. I did this when I
noticed a "Big write" error message and being concerned about the HD dying.
Nope!

Since all of the hardware has been switched out, this leaves software I
suppose or some configuring. Before this, the mail server has always been
very stable. I've been dealing with this problem for a couple of months and
have not solved it.

Today, when it did this hang & reboot from a remote ssh session (su to root
again), I was able to catch a fast glimpse of the console at the server and
saw:
"Warning: Lockmaster locking against itself....." ...or "locmaster"

... it cleared the screen to reboot too quick to be sure exactly what it
said. But thought this may be a clue. Can't find it in the logs.

Has anyone seen this issue and knows what it means.....??

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net