Upgrading stable behind a proxy

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed May 21 10:29:42 PDT 2003

Martin Krzysiak wrote:
> My PC at work is behind an HTTP-proxy which I don't have access to. I want to
> upgrade my FreeBSD from 4.7 to stable.
>
> Problem number 1 - cvsup:
>
> How do I specify a HTTP-proxy (which does not accept a CONNECT command) for
> cvsup?

cvsup doesn't use HTTP, so there's really no way I know of to make it use
an HTTP proxy without a lot of magic or messy hacking.

> Problem number 2 - custom install (not a FreeBSD problem):
>
> I found out the proxy is broken and I cannot download files with certain
> extensions (.ai for example; NO! It's not a filter! The proxy is _really_
> broken! It's running on Windows, so I don't know about it.). So I cannot
> simply download files like '.aa' to '.zz' from the http/ftp-mirrors.

Replace it with something NOT broken or download the ISO image somewhere
that doesn't have a broken proxy and install from it or buy the ISO from
FreeBSDMall.

> Additional remark: I am really glad that fetch works (.tgz & .tbz), so I can
> build ports at least, but cvsup'ing the ports-tree is impossible, too (I am
> always downloading it in one ports.tar.gz file).
>
> Small request: is it possible to use other extensions for the splitted files
> on the servers? I know it's a difficult thing. I suppose, you want to keep
> the 8.3 MS-DOS style.

I had to be cynical, but:
You're asking the FreeBSD team to rename a bunch of files to get around one
(admittedly) broken proxy?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies