shutdown -p now

Jalle defacto at home.se
Wed May 21 09:55:05 PDT 2003

<snip>
> >  root at sonic:/sys/i386/conf> /usr/sbin/config CUSTOM2
> >  config: CUSTOM2:156: devices with zero units are not likely to be correct
</snip>

Ah! I got these errors too some time ago. Apparently, I had been a little
careless while cvsup:ing at that time.
I'm on a 4.8-STABLE system, and I accidentally cvsup:ed with the wrong
cvsup file, ending up with -CURRENT
code all over the place. No good! So, if you've accidentally fetched some
-CURRENT code to your -STABLE
system, that might be it. Try cvsup to your current system and try again...

<snip>

>Further, "shutdown -p now" does not work yet on r5.0
>IE: stay with r4.8 if you want shutdown -p now to work.
>regards
>Kjell
</snip>

Doesn't it? I think it does, I tried it some time ago, but i've been wrong
before! =o)

<snip>
> > I decided to stop there rather than compile a possibly flakey kernel. Is
> > this error message anything to worry about, or am I doing something wrong?
</snip>

Good choice... in the long run. But keep in mind that FreeBSD is made for
Tinkering(TM).
You could (should) always back up a functional kernel before installing new
ones. That way,
you don't have to worry about screwing up. You could always go back and
undo/redo.

Don't know if any of this helps, but anyways...

/Jalle