IP Aliasing (and assigning an IP address via DHCP) in rc.conf

Joe Sotham joe-dated-1053521468.1ab0dc at dubium.com
Fri May 16 05:50:39 PDT 2003

On a freebsd 4.8-STABLE #0 system

The archives provide excellent information setting up an alias and assigning an ip
address to a NIC card.  There are no examples using DHCP and I thought it would be a
simple matter of following the examples and putting the following in my rc.conf file

ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="DHCP"   <=== new config item ...

and everything would magically work.

Unfortunately not.  Does anyone have any thoughts.  I am using a provider who allows
two ip per account.  Perhaps I need to assign a different mac address to the aliased
card.  Maybe that's a stupid thought.  I'm not sure.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Joe Sotham