make release and various make.conf's

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Mon May 12 07:16:49 PDT 2003

Hi,

I want to build a release that's as pristine as possible. Therefore
I wanted to use a separate make.conf (A) for the initial chroot installation
'make buildworld', and a separate make.conf (B) for the 'make release' step.
As the host's /etc/make.conf has options that are not appropriate for
building the initial chroot install, make.conf (A) cannot be /etc/make.conf.

So I tried to build the chroot install with

# env __MAKE_CONF=/freebsd/etc/make.conf.host make buildworld

which succeeded. Then I tried to make the release but there I ran into
a problem -- I needed to specify the above make.conf.host in the __MAKE_CONF
variable in order for the initial 'installworld' to succeed -- but then I
couldn't specify a __MAKE_CONF for the release build!

Is there a way to accomplish what I want?

--Stijn

--
I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it.
		-- Edgar Allan Poe