xe problems [was: Re: what is /var/empty]

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Mon May 12 06:08:31 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 11:37:46AM +0100, Gavin Kenny wrote:
> I have tried but I am not confident I am getting the
> command right.
>
> To force into 100Mbps I type as root:
>
> ifconfig xe0 media 100baseTX
>
> the result I get is:
>
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Invalid argument
>
> What should I type?

I think it should be 100baseTX/UTP.  I'm not near a machine I can check
that on right now though.

> many thanks
>
> Gavin
>
> p.s. did the FBSD4.4 version of the xe driver support
> 100Mbps as well?

It's supported 100Mbps since it was first committed back in 3.x days.
There haven't been any significant changes since 4.1.  Your card is being
attached sucessfully and recognised as a 100Mbps card, so it should be
fine.  Flaky autonegotiation is the most likely reason for it not to work.

	Scott