XFree86 on laptop Dell inspiron 2650

Eduardo Viruena Silva mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx
Sat May 10 11:56:06 PDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Fabio Miranda Hamburger wrote:

> Hi.
> I love unix and freebsd and I would like to install it on my laptop but I
> would like to know if it is waste of time install freebsd on a laptop.
> I know how stable and flexible is freebsd on servers but I dont know if i
> am wasting m time trying to set up X on a system that is not prepared for
> that.
> Is practical to instgall freebsd on a laptop? or it is better to choose XP
> or linux ?

It depends on what you want to do.
I use mine to make test in my systems, to format LaTeX documents, handle
my mail, C programming, corrrect my students assignments, preparing
lessons,... you name it.  I even installed "bochs" and I can emulate
a win98 environment.

Install xp if you like viruses and expensive software.

Linux is fine finished but it takes a lot of resources.

> Where can i get howtos for freebsd on laptop?

In the handbook:

	/usr/share/doc/en/books/handbook