Vinum Support on 5.0 release

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 6 19:26:48 PDT 2003

Program output wrapped.

On Tuesday,  6 May 2003 at 16:49:00 -0700, James Taylor wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to FreeBSD and am having some trouble
> compiling Vinum support into my kernel.  I'm running 5.0 release for
> Sparc64.  I'm going through the kernel-recompile howto, editing the
> /usr/src/sys/sparc64/conf/MYKERNEL (copy of GENERIC),
> adding the line: device   vinum
>
> Looking through google, people have been saying to add pseudo-device
> vinum, however since that absolutely doesn't work at all, I'm
> guessing that method is depreciated.

This is because the keywords have changed.  'device' is correct now.

> When I go to run make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL, everything goes
> through and looks like it's going fine until it goes to compile
> vinum, whereupon I get the following error:
>
> error  /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c
> /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c: In function `vinumattach':
> /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c:112: structure has no member named `p_intr_nesting_level'
> /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c:119: structure has no member named `p_intr_nesting_level'
> /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c:126: structure has no member named `p_intr_nesting_level'
> /usr/src/sys/dev/vinum/vinum.c:133: structure has no member named `p_intr_nesting_level'
>
> And then it dies, and I'm out of luck.  Can anyone point me in the
> correct direction on this one? Thanks

The preferred way to install Vinum is with the kld.  Vinum and SPARC64
have only recently come together, which is why you may not have a kld
for Vinum.  If you have to build a kernel for Vinum, you should
include the following line:

options 	VINUMDEBUG	#enable Vinum debugging hooks

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what else I can do.

Greg