KDE too slow with all file operations

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Tue May 6 09:39:17 PDT 2003

On Monday 05 May 2003 23:12, doug wrote:
> > On 4.8-STABLE, KDE takes two minutes extra to startup, to open the "save
> > as" or "open" dialogs, open local directories with Konqueror, ...
> >
> > Seems like everything related to local files is much slower than before
> > (on 5.0-CURRENT/RELEASE). It's the same computer and the same version of
> > KDE, so I think it is either a problem with the OS or with my files.
> > Everything on my system is self-compiled.
> >
> > I suspected this could be the result of restoring the home directories
> > and the distfiles from my previous installation. Now I don't think the
> > home directories are the cause, as this problem affects newly created
> > users as well.
> >
> > Do you think it would help to recompile KDE, or are the distfiles for 4.8
> > and 5.0 not the same? Or could the problem be XFree86, not KDE?

> I have had this happen on 4.x with a laptop. Try clearing all sockets from
> /tmp, especially mcop-xxxx. After that clear all the .mcop files from your
> home directory.
>  I have also caused this by having icons on my desktop that have nfs
> references.

Thanks for your reply, but that didn't help at all.

Instead I found some error messages on the shell where I typed startx:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.8 i386 [ELF]
Build Date: 05 May 2003
        Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue May  6 18:10:46 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
>> running as realtime process now (priority 15)
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
bitBlt: Incompatible destination pixmap

What does this mean?

Daniela