What trigers PPP?

CARTER Anthony a.carter at cordis.lu
Tue May 6 04:52:25 PDT 2003

Your getting out of my depth now, but:

Isn't squid a proxy server?

If it is, are you trying to dial from every machine? For me, the squid server
should be dialing, and the other machines should just be using the squid
server as a lan connection...

I.e.

Internet<->Proxy<->Lan

So this is what I understand:

You have machine x, y and z. x and z have access to the outside world...but
not y...

Hence, server p running squid wants to only let x and z dial out...but for
some reason the squid server is dialing out directly without waiting for the
request...

Take a look at the options in /etc/defaults/rc.conf...you have:

ppp_enable="NO"         # Start user-ppp (or NO).
ppp_mode="auto"         # Choice of "auto", "ddial", "direct" or "dedicated".
                                 # For details see man page for ppp(8).
#Default is auto.
ppp_nat="YES"           # Use PPP's internal network address translation or
NO.
ppp_profile="papchap"   # Which profile to use from /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.
ppp_user="root"         # Which user to run ppp as

I really can't help with squid, I do not know the system...

I get a feeling that it might have something to do with the ppp_mode...

check out man ppp, there is sections on:

DIAL ON DEMAND and NETWORK ADDRESS TRANSLATION (PACKET ALIASING) that could be
of interest to you.

One other thought, if the server is listening for any activity on interface x,
then the ppp will be launched...

Other than that I am at a loss, sorry...

Anthony