Problem with networking?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu May 1 15:50:47 PDT 2003

Hmmm ... I'm getting the impression you don't have root access on this
machine?

gcn53 at vfemail.net wrote:
> Quoting Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com>:
>
>>gcn53 at vfemail.net wrote:

>>>Sorry, forgive my ignorance, but how do I "verify it"?
>>
>>I missed the earlier part of the thread, so ...
>>
>>If you were given the information by your hosting provider, verify that
>>it's correct compared to what you have in /etc/rc.conf
>
> My hosting provider did not give me this information.

So your provider set up the machine, correct?  I would think it would then
be the hosting provider's responsibility to fix the network config if it's
not working, but I don't know the exact relationship you've worked out with
them, so I could be wrong.

I looked back and found the original email you sent.  The hard part is that
we don't know the details of the "virtual server" setup.

>>Where did you get your IP addy?  You should have been provided a netmask
>>in the same document/conversation/whatever.
>
> The IP address was given to me by the host provider, after the virtual server
> had been set up.

And you entered it?  They should have provided a netmask as well as
a default router/gateway and DNS servers.  You need all that information
to make any sort of server work.

>>Also, based on some other replies to this thread, could you post your
>>/etc/rc.conf to the list.  It may help sort out what's up.
>>

> # cat < /etc/rc.conf
> portmap_enable="NO"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> network_interfaces=""
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Fri Apr  4 14:55:26 2003
> named_enable="NO"
> hostname="graygold"

Well, you definately have no network config here.

>>Another thing you can do is simply change it to 255.255.255.0 and see if
>>things start to work.  It's possible that that number is wrong, but it
>>will break _less_ networking than using 255.255.255.255, so you'll be
>>able to tell if you're on the right track or not:
>>
>>ifconfig fxp0 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> # ifconfig fxp0 netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): permission denied

You'll need to do this as root.  Do you have root access?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies