securing the kernel

Rob listone at deathbeforedecaf.net
Thu May 1 03:49:38 PDT 2003

There's a little bit on kernel options in the security(7) manpage, but
many of the 'hardening' steps are outside of the kernel.

You can add ICMP_BANDLIM to the kernel config, as well as options for
ipfirewall(4). My /etc/sysctl.conf has the entries

  net.inet.tcp.blackhole=2
  net.inet.udp.blackhole=1

to slow down portscans - see blackhole(4). You might also want to look
at runlevels in the init(8) manpage, though they work better on servers.

Of course, turn off any network stuff you don't need - inetd(8) and
portmap(8) can be disabled in /etc/rc.conf. If you run named(8), use the
flags recommended in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and run it non-root.

I haven't got any untrusted local users, so most of my focus is on
network-based problems. I would certainly recommend
/usr/ports/security/sudo as a replacement for su(8). It has much better
control over who does what.