Moving Disks to new PC Machines

Joseph Maxwell jemaxwell at jaymax.com
Fri Mar 28 11:29:11 PST 2003

Hello,
Problem: defined earlier -

      I need to move my system ( actually 2 hard disk) to another
     machine w/ different MotherBoard and CPU. The disks have been
     configured as a bootable system disk and the other data storage.
     How can I reconfigure to achieve this with the minimum amount of
     perturbation.

I've worked on this transition for about a week now & require some inputs:
The machine is similar to the old machine:

Differences -

Old Architecture:

     Shuttle AI61 motherboard
     AMD K7 Processor 900 Mhz
     AMD751 Chipset
     % PCI & 1 AGP slots
     3 DIMM Sockets

New Architecture:

     Shuttle AKA32A motherboard
     AMD Athlon CPU 1.5 GHz
     Chipset(s) - 2:     VIA VT8366A & VIA VT8233
     5 PCI slots & 1 AGP slots
     2 DIMM Sockets each, DDR/SDR

Unchanged:

     Hard drives (2 - Boot & data)
     Memory sticks
     3 PC Cards

          A Diamond Stealth Video Card
          A line modem card
          A SMC NIC

Machine boots partially, probing devices, listing to stdout. Readout aborts
consistently at a line which is difficult to read on the fly as

     uhub: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered

Nothing else on line, nor is there a follow up line, the screen goes blank
(black) machine stays on.

Any further suggestion, IRQ's to reset, IOMEN, flags ????

I've reconfigure the kernel w/ distr Disk2 using Visual mode, but did not
attempt CLI Mode.

Thanks

--  Joe  ---