[ HOWTO ] - XFree86 and 4 buttons touchpad

ptiJo ptiJo at noos.fr
Fri Mar 28 11:23:17 PST 2003

On the last episode, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> said:

> On Wednesday, 26 March 2003 at 10:27:39 +0000, ptiJo ptiJo wrote:
> > On the last episode, Greg 'groggy' Lehey said:
> >> Single line paragraphs.

> >> You haven't said what it is yet.  It's almost certainly a hardware
> >> compatibility issue.  What model is it?
>
> What model is it?

 if I exactly knew it, I would have write it previously
 dmesg doesn't say anything, windows says it is a "synaptics touchpad"

> >> How does it connect to the system?
> >
> > psm0: irq 12 on atkbdc0
> > psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
> >
> >> Are you running moused?
> >
> > *** moused runs as ***
> > moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
>
> OK, if you enable moused in a vt, does it work there?

 well... it works "as bad" as in XFree86 : it selects well with Button1 and extends selection with Button3
 but Button 2, 4 or "1+3" just doesn't paste.

> > *** from XFree86.0.log ***
> > [ snip ]
> > (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
> > (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
> > (II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> >         compiled for 4.3.0, module version = 1.0.0
> >         Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
> >         ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.4
> > [ snip ]
> > (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
> > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> > (**) Option "Buttons" "5"
> > (**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
> > (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > (**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> > (**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
> >
> > *** from XF86Config ***
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "Mouse0"
> >         Driver      "mouse"
> >         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
> >         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> >         Option      "Buttons" "5"
> >         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > EndSection
> >
> > any enlightenment now ? :)
>
> Not much.  Is it too much to ask to know what the model is?  I don't
> have time to interpret messages.  Take a look at
> http://www.lemis.com/questions.html for further details.

psm0: irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

no more info in dmesg :(
and nothing special in the BIOS...