[ HOWTO ] - XFree86 and 4 buttons touchpad

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 26 23:26:38 PST 2003

On Wednesday, 26 March 2003 at 10:27:39 +0000, ptiJo ptiJo wrote:
> On the last episode, Greg 'groggy' Lehey said:
>> Single line paragraphs.
>>
>> On Wednesday, 19 March 2003 at 16:44:05 +0000, ptiJo ptiJo wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have one of those strange 4buttons touchpad on my laptop and only
>>> left/right buttons working.
>>>
>>> The buttons look like :
>>>   2
>>> 1 4 3
>>>
>>> I tried several tunings on moused/XF86Configlike -m 4=2 -m 5=4 on
>>> moused, and Buttons=4 in XF86Config) but nothing seems to work.
>>>
>>> Even xev only recognize button 1 and 3 only...
>>>
>>> Has anyone succeeded in using those 4 buttons touchpad ?
>>
>> You haven't said what it is yet.  It's almost certainly a hardware
>> compatibility issue.  What model is it?

What model is it?

>> How does it connect to the system?
>
> psm0: irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
>
>> Are you running moused?
>
> *** moused runs as ***
> moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto

OK, if you enable moused in a vt, does it work there?

> *** from XFree86.0.log ***
> [ snip ]
> (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
> (II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>         compiled for 4.3.0, module version = 1.0.0
>         Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
>         ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.4
> [ snip ]
> (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> (**) Option "Buttons" "5"
> (**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
> (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> (**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> (**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
>
> *** from XF86Config ***
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>         Option      "Buttons" "5"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> any enlightenment now ? :)

Not much.  Is it too much to ask to know what the model is?  I don't
have time to interpret messages.  Take a look at
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html for further details.

Greg