Sony VAIO w/ Linksys card

Adam Lofstedt adaml at visimation.com
Thu Mar 27 16:08:40 PST 2003

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install FBSD on a Sony VAIO PCG-F350. I
> have a Linksys
> card in it. FBSD doesnt seem to recognize the Linksys
> card during the
> installation. Dont know why? Also, after installation,
> I added
> "pccard_enable..." to the /etc/rc.conf file.... now,
> it does see the
> card but, it see's it as ed1 device and it doesnt come
> up till after
> the boot is complete and im at a login prompt....
> thats when it beeps
> and it gives me a "ppcard started...." message, and I
> have to hit
> enter to get the login prompt back. Any help on this
> situation would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA

I think it is a problem with the Sony not giving access to the PC card.
I've tried similar things with the PCG-F series notebooks and a variety
of different PC network cards, with no luck.

I've tried without fail to use symantec ghost on the F series, which
uses a DOS boot disk to boot to a DOS program that uses the Network
card.  On other machines such as Dells, Toshibas, etc, it works just
fine, but on the Sony F series the NIC is never detected.  This was a
big clue to me that it must be some kind of hardware limitation with the
Sony F series.

I gave up trying to do anything with a Sony F series and a network card
before an OS has fully booted up.

That's just my experience, maybe someone else will have a better answer
than me...

Adam Lofstedt