creating ftp users!

FBSD_User Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Sat Jun 28 04:34:59 PDT 2003

Rob,

If you want a nice message, I suggest creating a class in
/etc/logins.conf which point to a /etc/issues.sftponly file where
the
user gets a nice message, which you deem appropriate.

Secondly, as far as chroot, I don't believe OpenSSH supports chroot
natively, however I know there is a patch floating around (I believe
in
the contrib/ directory of the openssh portable tarball) which will
patch
openssh to support chroot'd environments.  You will need to
recompile
the openssh portable distribution, however.

Rob Lahaye wrote:
> Raymond Sundland wrote:
>
>>Rob,
>>
>>You can try setting the user's shell to /usr/libexec/sftp-server
(or
>>wherever the sftp-server binary exists under FreeBSD).
>>
>>This will give the user ability to SFTP into the box, but without
>>normal shell.  /usr/lib/exec/sftp-server should be added to
/etc/shells,
>>too.
>

> Almost works ;).
> Doing what you suggest, I can sftp to the account, but when I do
ssh to
> that account, I get the regular login message but no prompt.
Something