Two DNS servers with one IP address

K Anderson freebsduser at attbi.com
Thu Jun 26 01:26:22 PDT 2003

Michal F. Hanula wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 08:52:42PM -0500, Alfonso Romero wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to have two DNS servers with only one public IP
>>address? I have a FreeBSD gateway connected to the Internet with a DSL
>>modem, using natd to connect the other PCs on my LAN, and was
>>wondering if I could have two DNS servers to register domain names.
>
> You could do some magic using port redirection based on whatever you
> want (source IP?). I can't even imagine the point of it, but it could be
> done.
> 						m&f

I don't know what the poster's reason is for having two DNS servers but
have a look and bind 9. Do the opposite. Have one DNS server act as two.
With views you can have the outside world see one thing and the inside
world see another.  That's how I'm set up. One view is called external
and when folks make a query to it it responds with what I've told it.
But when an internal machine makes a request the DNS will respond
differently. It all depends how you define the views.
Way nifty and the systems are none the wiser. :)

HTH