Xfree86 Config Problems

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 24 13:40:20 PDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:00:27 -0600, "Timms, Simon"
<STimms at petro-canada.ca> said:
> sounds like you are doing pretty good.  If you are getting the gray
> screen
> and black X then your video card is supported and you have started X.
> What
> you are missing is a window manager.  I don't know what window manager
> you
> want but give fluxbox a try, it is in the ports collection.  If you want
> something a little heavier try KDE or GNOME.  I am aware that KDE/Gnome
> aren't window managers, thank you.  Once you have installed a window
> manager
> they edit your .xinitrc and add a call to your window manager (exec
> startkde
> for kde, exec fluxbox for fluxbox).  Check the archive of this list
> somebody
> has done a good walk though for this before.  If you do install kde from
> ports then allow a good few hours for it to finish.
>
> try:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html the
> friendly handbook for some good examples.
>
> good luck!

A *very* helpful article:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/21/FreeBSD_Basics.html

In fact, the whole "FreeBSD Basics" series on O'Reilly's Onlamp.com is
excellent.  You might want to scan the topics that have been covered in
the 3 years the series has been running to see what else is relevant to
your situation.

Jud