Xfree86 Config Problems

Timms, Simon STimms at petro-canada.ca
Tue Jun 24 10:00:31 PDT 2003

sounds like you are doing pretty good.  If you are getting the gray screen
and black X then your video card is supported and you have started X.  What
you are missing is a window manager.  I don't know what window manager you
want but give fluxbox a try, it is in the ports collection.  If you want
something a little heavier try KDE or GNOME.  I am aware that KDE/Gnome
aren't window managers, thank you.  Once you have installed a window manager
they edit your .xinitrc and add a call to your window manager (exec startkde
for kde, exec fluxbox for fluxbox).  Check the archive of this list somebody
has done a good walk though for this before.  If you do install kde from
ports then allow a good few hours for it to finish.

try:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html the
friendly handbook for some good examples.

good luck!