fatal trap 12 (SMP related)

Asenchi asenchi at asenchi.com
Mon Jun 23 07:55:29 PDT 2003

Hello,

I have installed 4.8-stable on my dual processor HP system.  I reconfigured the kernel, and everything worked fine.  Except now after a period of time (even Idle time, see below) my system has this error:

mp_lock = 01000003; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
fault virtual address	= 0x30
fault code    		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction number  	= 0x8:0xc0205661
stack pointer   	= 0x10:0xff80fcd0
frame pointer   	= 0x10:0xff80fcd0
code segment   		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
      			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags  	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process   	= Idle
interrupt mask   	= tty bio <- SMP: XXX
trap number    		= 12
panic: page fault
mp_lock = 01000003; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
boot() called on cpu#1
Uptime: 36m17s

I can see that this is a problem with the SMP config.  What I don't know is what to do with it, is it hardware, software.  I am not sure.  This is the first time I have ever been presented with this.

I do prefer maybe a point in the right direction rather than the answer as I learn a lot more reading up on it.  I just haven't been able to find anything, especially not knowing what I am looking for.

//curt