rc.sendmail

John Von Essen john at essenz.com
Sat Jun 21 20:52:13 PDT 2003

Okay, before people send more responses... Yes, I have looked at man
rc.sendmail and I do understand how everything works. My question is
WHY was it designed to behave they way it does?

Why isn't rc.sendmail setup such that you can start the listening
daemon for inbound, queue runner for outbound, and the msp queue
runner. (Currently, you cant start that config with rc.conf and
rc.sendmail due to rc.sendmail's logic)

Obviously, you can't run the localhost submission daemon AND the port
25 remote daemon listening for inbound. For that case, it is either one
or the other - so that part of rc.sendmail makes sense. But if I select
"YES" to enable both the mqueue runner and the clientmqueue runner in
rc.conf, the rc.sendmail script will not perform this. The logic of
rc.sendmail will only start mqueue if sendmail and sendmail submit are
set to "NO". Likewise, if you select sendmail "YES", then the only
other thing you can run is the clientmqueue runner.

In my case, I need to run the sendmail daemon, the mqueue runner, and
the clientmqueue runner. In other words, I need the following at
startup:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -bd -q1h
/usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mqueue -qp5m
/usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-clientmqueue -Ac -qp5m

rc.conf and rc.sendmail cannot startup what I want. As a result, I have
to do sendmail_enable="NONE", and then from rc.local startup what I
want manually.

Why can't rc.sendmail be designed such that whatever has "YES" in
rc.conf will get started?

John