ping: sendto: No buffer space available

Gary Jennejohn garyj at jennejohn.org
Tue Jun 17 13:11:39 PDT 2003

Bill Moran writes:
> > jaime at snowmoon.com wrote:
> > 	It looks like something is causing it to pile up packets in the
> > buffers temporarily.  Any thoughts?  In the mean time, I will see if I can
> > dig up a PCI ethernet card.
>
> Yes, but it doesn't look like the pile is deep enough that it should have run
> out of buffer space.

The ``No buffer space available'' message generally has _nothing at all_
to do with whether there are enough mbufs available. It really means
that the send queue in the driver is full and no further packets can
be added to it until it drains soemwhat.

The message indicates that, for some reason, the driver can't send
out any packets on the wire.

For some reason most people think that this message means they've run
out of mbufs. Examination of the source would quickly disabuse them
of this idea.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj[at]jennejohn.org gj[at]freebsd.org gj[at]denx.de