getting ordb.org to stop spam with sendmail

ODHIAMBO Washington wash at wananchi.com
Tue Jun 17 00:06:43 PDT 2003

* David Banning <david at skytracker.ca> [20030617 09:52]: wrote:
> I am interested in getting my server to bounce mail from open relays.
>
> I have been to the ordb.org site. I have added the suggested line
> to my mc files;
>
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `relays.ordb.org', ` "550 Email rejected due to sending server
> misconfiguration - see http://www.ordb.org/faq/\#why_rejected"')dnl
>
> I am using sendmail 8.12.9/8.12.6
> I of course recompiled the .mc files, and restarted sendmail.
>
> I have tried to test that it is working by adding;
>
> 127.0.0.2              29.66.188.209.relays.ordb.org
>
> to my /etc/hosts file, as my ip address is 209.188.66.299
>
> I am still not getting a bounce. I am not seeing anything in /var/maillog
>
> I am looking for a clue as to how to get more info to get this working,
> either via a tip from someone, or how I can crank up my logging
> to maillog to give me more info. A website that goes into
> more depth would be helpful, if anyone knows one.

I believe the ordb dnslists are not free anymore, but that is upto you to
go and find out. Perhaps you already did.
I use the following dnslists:

spamhaus.relays.osirusoft.com : spamsites.relays.osirusoft.com : \
dialups.relays.osirusoft.com : socks.relays.osirusoft.com : \
opm.blitzed.org : sbl.spamhaus.org : proxies.blackholes.easynet.nl

I use Exim, not Sendmail, so I do not know how to test, but suppose
you have a different box, you can temporarily assign the IP to it, then

telnet -s  209.188.66.29 ip_of_sendmail_box 25

Then simulate a mail transaction and see what the sendmail says in the log...

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash at wananchi.com>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

Christ:
	A man who was born at least 5,000 years ahead of his time.