Tools to modify shared libraries

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 16 15:53:43 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 18:39, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> Has anyone ever come across general-purpose tools for modifying shared
> libraries?  What I want to do is to edit the list of "needed" shared
> libraries to correct the common mistakes that developers make in
> creating shared objects with large lists of shared libraries.

GNU objcopy --- but it's a bit *too* general; you'd need to extract the
.dynamic section, edit it using some binary editing tool, and re-add it.

I doubt there are any tools of the kind you're looking for because the
details are too different between different systypes; even if someone
had developed one, it's just as likely to be for Linux or Solaris as for
*BSD, and as a result wouldn't be particularly useful.

brandon s allbery [openafs/solaris/japh/freebsd] allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [linux/heimdal/too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering                              KF8NH
carnegie mellon university  [better check the oblivious first -ke6sls]