How do I change the envelope from address in sendmail

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Jun 14 12:46:58 PDT 2003

Bill Moran wrote:
[ ... ]
> I've tried creating a local-host-names file in /etc/mail according to
> some Linux howtos I found, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Right.  This change won't help solve the problem you asked about.

 > What's the proper way to get sendmail to use user at domain.com
 > instead of user at machine.domain.com?

Someone else already provided references to MASQUERADE_AS(), but if you can't
get that working, you can forcibly set it by uncommenting the following line in
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

...to:

Djdomain.com

[ Using an .mc file is the way to go if at all possible, but the above plus a
"make restart" should do in a pinch. ]

--
-Chuck