Help with some problems

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Sat Jun 14 09:14:49 PDT 2003

One e-mail per question!

When you ask a number of questions people tend not to reply unless they have a
response to all.

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:23, Earl Larsen wrote:
> Problem #1
> I have a KVM switch. And sometimes when I use the switch. I get a "no
> monater deteceted" error.
>
> Problem #2
> The only account that can mount my floppy and cd roms is the root. I put
> the other accounts in the "wheel" group. And I am unabel to mount.

%  /sbin/sysctl vfs.usermount=1
Should allow user mounts when permissions are OK on device special and
mount point.

Most of us seldom mount floppies but use instead mtools. Get the package
or install from ports.

> Problem #3
> When I put % echo "exec startkde"> ~... in .xinitrc. I get  a "mode 8 not
> supported" error. I have an ATI Radeon 7000 card. And I went to their web
> site and could not find any drivers.

I don't know much about kde and I'm not sure what is meant by mode 8, but I
suspect it refers to depth 8 configuration of X. Try configuring 15, 16 or 24.

> Problem #4
> I am using Kmail for my email and when I go to check my spelling. I get the
> following error  "ISpell/Aspell could not be started. Please make sure you
> have ISpell or Aspell properly configured and in your PATH."

Don't know Aspell but ispell is a spelling package available with american,
english and dictionaries for many other languages. You need to install this
separately.

> Suggestion #1
> Does anyone know of a good and easy configurable FTP Server software.

Good ftp server software is installed by default. To activate you normally run
inetd (already started by default in standard installation) and ftp enabled
in inetd.conf:-
remove the '#' at the beginning of the line:
#ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l
in /etc/inetd.conf

You'll need to have inetd reread this by sending it a SIGHUP
% kill -HUP inetd_pid
(or simply reboot)
You can get inetd_pid from  /var/run/inetd.pid

> Question#1
> I am running wine. And when I start my GUI.  I would like to have my
> Anti-virus software running in the  background automaticly. How would I do
> that. Whould I put the executable path in the .xinitrc file?

Malcolm