Pkgdb corrupted : doesn't recognized installed ports

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Wed Jun 11 15:32:29 PDT 2003

Am Thu, 2003-06-12 um 00.02 schrieb Viny:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 05:43:22PM -0400 or thereabouts, Robert Huff may have written :
> > 	make a copy of the db
> > 	delete the db
> > 	rebuild the db from scratch
> >
> > 	The last may take a while, depending on how fast your machine
> > is, but it may save you a lot of grief.
> > 	Then run pkg_version (or equivalent) and update as desired.
>
> 	Thanks for the answer.
>
> 	What exactly do you call the db ? /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db ? or the whole
> directory /var/db/pkg ?
> 	Upon examination it seems that some files disappeared with the crash.
> Actually, some +CONTENTS files to be more precise. Which explains I can't do
> anything with these ports.
> 	If there was a way to build /var/db/pkg from scratch I'd be very
> happy =) Else, I plan to retrieve the cvs ports files matching the versions of
> the programs installed on my computer and reinstall them.
>
> 	Viny
Hello,

I had a similar problem (crash, unexpected softupdate errors in /var,
and a bombed /var/db/pkg). For me it was possible to extract the missing
files from /var/lost+found, because although the directory names in the
first level have been trashed, the contents were still there.

Depending on the amount of missing ports, and the contents of
lost+found, you might be able to move the missing files to their correct
position. (I used a perl script to unconditionally do that, since
_nothing_ was in /var/db/pkg =) )

--
Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn at gmx.net>