/etc/motd

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Jun 11 11:29:00 PDT 2003

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.8 and would like to remove the information given
> each time I login. I've cleared everything in the /etc/motd, but for some
> reason there's some sort of daily tip I'm given after login that isn't
> in the /etc/motd.

First tip.  Please break your text lines at around 72 characters.  It
makes it much easier to read and respond.

You probably have fortune running.
Mostly likely it is run from your shell's startup file
Depending on the shell you are using look in .cshrc for csh or tcsh
or .bashrc for bash.   I've never seen anyone do it from sh, but
just in case, look in .profile.

Or possibly it could be in your .login file.

Just look in those for where it runs 'fortune' and either
remove or comment out the line.

////jerry