Mozilla 1.3 port problem - general question about bug report

kusa kusa at club-internet.fr
Tue Jun 10 18:03:48 PDT 2003

Hello,

this is the first time I am writing here, I hope I'm not posting on the wrong
mailing list...
I am using FreeBSD for only 2 weeks and am not yet familiar with the
opensource world, so please mind my stupid questions ^^

I have a portudate problem on mozilla-1.3.1,2 after I updated my ports by cvs
: I can't get it to recognize all the dependencies and it throws me this
error after checking a bunch of things that are marked as ok

"
*** Your version of pkg-config is too old. You need version 0.9.0 or newer.
*** See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig
configure: error: Library requirements (xft) not met; consider adjusting the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard
prefix so pkg-config can find them.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
      Please report the problem to gnome at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
      the "/usr/ports/www/mozilla/work/mozilla/config.log" including the
      output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good
      idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
      (e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

"
I actualy have kgconfig 0.15.0, which is the latest version and I don't really
understand the "Library requirements (xft)" stuff, but when I check if all
the dependencies that should be needed by the port are in my port database it
seems to be ok...(I checked the dependency list on the freebsd.org/ports
site)

So, as you can read in the error message, it tells me to send a report to the
maintainer of the port to report the problem...My question is : should I do
it ?

I mean, in this kind of cases is it the proper way to report the problem ?
What the difference between reporting by mail to the maintener and submitting
a bug report about the port ? Which one is the best ?
And will I burn in hell if do a bug report or mail the maintainer and it
finaly appears to be a miss I did in the install of my system ?

Thanks in advance ^^