ADSL: Using mpd(8) for PPPoE

Rob listone at deathbeforedecaf.net
Sun Jun 8 22:53:49 PDT 2003

If I can't get mpd(8) to work, I won't have a choice :-)

The difference between them (as far as I can tell) is that mpd keeps all
the actual packet handling out of userland, so there's less overhead.
I've only got 512k/128k ADSL on a Pentium 166, so it doesn't sound like
ppp(8) will be a bottleneck, based on your experience.

I'm trying mpd because it looks like the 'cleaner' approach - on the
other hand, it seems to be the minority choice in terms of general
usage.