cyrus-sasl2 setup failing

admin admin2 at enabled.com
Wed Jun 4 21:35:53 PDT 2003

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 05:54:45 +0200, Dirk Meyer wrote
> > Sendmail 8.12.9-sasl2 (compiled from /usr/ports/mail/sendmail-sasl)
> > cyrus-sasl-2.1.13 (compiled from /usr/ports/security/cyrus-sasl2-saslauthd)
> >
> > A client is still not able to authenticate via SASL - looks like is it not
> > happy but I am not sure how to fix it.  Anybody got a clue what I am doing
> > wrong here?
>
> > --- from the logs when some attempts to authenticate ----
> > Jun  4 20:09:46 typhoon sm-mta[78399]: AUTH: available mech=NTLM LOGIN PLAIN
> > OTP DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5, allowed mech=LOGIN PLAIN
>
> > Jun  4 20:09:46 typhoon sm-mta[78399]: h5539jJQ078399: AUTH failure (LOGIN):
> > no mechanism available (-4) SASL(-4): no mechanism available: checkpass failed
>
> > define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
> > define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
> > TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>
> checkpass failed, is the saslauthd started?
> do you needd the "A" Option?

wait I figured this out.  I changed the saslauthd flags to

if [ -z "${sasl_saslauthd_flags}" ]; then
        sasl_saslauthd_flags="-a getpwent"
fi

got the daemon running and things are fine now.

are there any security issues here.  looks liek I cannot send mail unless I
have SSL enabled on the client side.  SO I think I have things running properly.

- Noah