BIND 8.3.5 port?

Doug Barton DougB at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 4 17:23:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Doug Barton wrote:
> > You guys seriously need to read the comment at the top of the port
> > Makefile.
>
> To the extent that your comments represent good advice, they are
> appreciated.

Glad to help.

> However, if Mark wanted to run the version of named that already comes
> with FreeBSD, or the current 8.3.4 port, he wouldn't have asked for an
> updated port of BIND-8.3.5.  The maintainer of any software project
> ought to regard other people's interest as a positive and constructive
> thing-- otherwise, why bother?

Just for your information, here is what the paragraph above sounds like to
me:

Blah blah blah, I didn't actually read the comment in the Makefile where
it says if you urgently desire to run the latest BIND you can just compile
it from source and install it yourself, blah blah blah, Do what I want you
to do because I want you to do it, blah blah blah.

If you think this is unecessarily harsh, please check the many gigabytes
of mail archives where the subject of rational expectations on your part
regarding how and when people who are volunteering their time to help you
should be doing it.

Also, you should probably consider the possibility that if I thought it
was a good idea for everyone in the FreeBSD community to rush out and run
the latest and greatest version of BIND, I would already have upgraded the
port.

.... all of which tells me that you didn't actually READ what I said in
the Makefile. Or if you did, you didn't bother to try and understand it.
Either way, you've demonstrated to me that further communication with you
isn't likely to yield fruitful results.