problem with parallel port ZIP drive (100MB)

Vivenzio Pagliari vivenzio at web.de
Wed Jun 4 11:29:20 PDT 2003

Help!

I can't use my parallel port iomega ZIP drive on FreeBSD. I think that I
followed all the instructions (from the ZIP drive article under
/usr/share/doc/en/articles) correctly, but obviously I missed something :-(

What I did was:

1. Configure the kernel: the (as far as I have understood) important
   lines of my kernel configuration "PCKERNEL" were:

# SCSI peripherals
# the next two are required by vpo device (Iomega ZIP drive)
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
# the rest is not necessary
#device         sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
#device         cd              # CD
#device         pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
#device         lpt             # Printer
#device         plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
device          vpo             # Requires scbus and da

1a. Compile the kernel with:

   cd /usr/src; make buildkernel KERNCONF=PCKERNEL

1b. Install it:

   make installkernel KERNCONF=PCKERNEL

2. Reboot:
   During boot, the system "hung" for a few seconds and some "timeout"
   messages from vpo appeared on the screen. The last lines of dmesg
   output are:

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
vpo0: <Iomega VPI0 Parallel to SCSI interface> on ppbus0
vpo0: EPP mode
ad0: 38166MB <WDC WD400BB-00DEA0> [77545/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
ad1: 12416MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL CX13.0A> [25228/16/63] at ata0-slave UDMA33
acd0: CDROM <FX4820T> at ata1-master PIO4
acd1: CD-RW <AOPEN CD-RW CRW4048 1.05 20020605> at ata1-slave PIO4
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (2)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (2)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
vpo0: VP0 error/timeout (5)
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

   That is, something went wrong here already?!

3. When I tried to mount, the mount was unsuccessful, of course :-(

# mount_msdos /dev/da1s4 /mnt
mount_msdos: /dev/da1s4: Device not configured

Any hint highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Vivenzio Pagliari