How to configure Wireless access with WEP on a laptop AND use DHCPin /etc/rc.conf

John Merryweather Cooper coop9211 at uidaho.edu
Tue Jun 3 19:15:59 PDT 2003

I've discovered the wonderful world of wireless Internet access on my
FreeBSD laptop (an IBM Thinkpad 380XD running 4.8-STABLE), but I have a
problem.  Configuring the interface to do both DHCP and initialize with
all the WEP parameters seems to be mutually exclusive.

I've worked around it by putting in a dummy static IP and netmask and
then running dhclient wi0 manually, but I'd prefer to automate things
somewhat so that when wi0 comes up (I put the PC Card in) it initializes
with the WEP stuff AND does DHCP.

So, currently, my configuration line looks like:

ifconfig_wi0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid some-ssid wepmode
on wepkey some-128-bit-key"

And it works fine, provided I run dhclient manually.  But I can't just
replace the dummies with DHCP (been there, it doesn't work).

How should I do this?

jmc