/ is filling up

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Tue Jun 3 11:48:57 PDT 2003

> My / partition is getting pretty full, 92%. Usually the culprit is something
> I'm not rotating in /var/log, but that's not the case this time. Does anyone
> have any suggestions to find out where this is? I'm guessing it's probably
> something using ls and sort but I'll be damned if I can put something
> together that helps this problem.

   cd /
   du -xh -d 2

will print out the usage stats for everything that is in the /-partition
(mount points are not traversed). If you want to see more that 2 levels,
you can modify the command appropriately.

I usually use
   du -xh -d 2 | grep M
and
   du -xh -d 2 | grep G

to see directories that take more than 1 mega (giga) byte of space
(although these commands will print directories with an 'M' ('G') in
their names, too.

Simon