Repositioning /var | /tmp to avoid disk full condition

Vallo Kallaste kalts at estpak.ee
Mon Jun 2 10:10:38 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 11:58:23AM -0700, Joseph Maxwell
<jemaxwell at jaymax.com> wrote:

> How can I restore the full functioning structural integrity as before,
> of course the contents of the /usr/var directory was wiped out somwhere
> along the way, sans log, sans mail, sans everything. Just want to
> continue as before.

FreeBSD uses mtree(8) to create distribution directories, look into
/etc/mtree, you find the templates there. In case you've lost the
/var hierarchy, the simplest way to recreate it is:
mtree -deU -f /etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -p /var
This is what /usr/src/etc/Makefile distribution target uses, also.
--
Vallo Kallaste