Newbie problems with X11, Xf86

Joshua Oreman oremanj at get-linux.org
Thu Jul 31 10:20:43 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 01:06:11PM -0400 or thereabouts, Benjamin Gonzalez wrote:
> I installed X-Free86 - 4.2.0_1,1 from my  Free BSD Cd using sysinstall and
> cannot get it to run.  I see the directory X11R6 under /usr, I run
> 'xf86config' and it says 'command not found'.  I typed 'XFree86 -configure'
> and it also says 'command not found'.  I've looked for a file called
> /etc/X11/XFree86Config and it says 'No such file or directory'.
>
> I went back through sysinstall and reinstalled the X11 packages including
> XFree86-4.2.0 and still I get the above results.
>
> Could someone please explain what I am doing wrong, this is becoming
> frustrating.

You didn't set your $PATH. Put this in your ~/.cshrc:
setenv PATH $PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin
(or if you're using bash, put this in your ~/.bashrc:
 export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin
).

As for the config file, try this (as root):
# cd /root
# PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin XFree86 -configure

The screen should go black for a few seconds and the monitor
will click some. When it's all over you should have a file called
XF86Config.new (or some similar name). Try to start X with it
(as root for this test):
# PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config*

You should see a big gray screen with an X cursor in the middle.
(That's the mouse). Try moving the mouse to make sure the mouse works.
Try switching back to the text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and type as root:
# PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin DISPLAY=:0 xterm &

Switch back to X (Ctrl+Alt+F9) and there should be a "window" with
a terminal emulator in it. (It's just a box, no title bar or anything;
there isn't a window manager running. Yet.) Try typing some stuff in to
make sure the keyboard works.

Now kill the X server with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

If anything didn't work, mail the mailing list about it.

Otherwise, you're free to install a WM (I recomment /usr/ports/x11-wm/icewm,
you may prefer /usr/ports/x11/kde3). Edit your ~/.xinitrc file and put
this line in if you installed iceWM (replacing any other lines):
  exec icewm
or this one if you installed KDE (again replacing any other lines):
  exec startkde

Have fun!

-- Josh