Announce Broken Ports

Joshua Oreman oremanj at get-linux.org
Fri Jul 25 10:10:35 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 02:00:07PM -0300 or thereabouts, Leonardo Lazarte wrote:

> As seen in several messages to this and other lists, the PORTS
> mecanism has been broken.

It only seems so because of the dependency on pkg_info -O.

> I have read about some patches and possible solutions, but I
> could not find an easy way to overcome the problem.

CVSup /usr/src, cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_info, make install clean.

> Shouldn't it be announced clearly, on the FreeBSD site, that
> there is a problem with PORTS, perhaps pointing to some
> temporary solution, until the problem is solved?

NO, IMO that would be quite inappropriate. The fix is simple.

(It *would* be nice if someone could change bsd.port.mk to only
 use pkg_info -O if ${OSRELDATE} >= 480000, however :-)

> I have used FreeBSD for a decade, and it is the first time
> that I have to change the OS version due to problems broght
> from the distributions.

A decade? Nope.

Now -- July     2003
1.0 -- November 1993

So no, there HASN'T been a decade of FreeBSD. (I'm sure there'll be
a party in November :-)

-- Josh