Etherbet interface redundancy

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg listsub at 401.cx
Thu Jul 24 08:52:09 PDT 2003

Hello listmembers

Is there a way to accomplish interface redundancy on machines with dual
interface?
I have a few Dell Poweredge 1650 and some Compaq DL-360 G2 servers with
dual onboard gigabit interfaces. When running windows, you can use the
software provided with each server to "bundle" the interfaces. Compaq
calls it "teaming", I cant recall what Dell calls it but Im sure they
have a similar catchy name for it.
You bundle the interfaces to a virtual interface and assigns it an ip
address. If the first interface dies, it switches to the second and uses
that instead.

I have looked at ng_one2many, but it doesnt seem to be what I need. It
uses *both* interfaces unless they are marked as down. I want it to use
the first interface unless marked as down, and if it is marked as down,
it should switch to the second and try that. It should *never* use both
interfaces at the same time.

Does anyone know of anything with such a functionality for FreeBSD?