OpenSSH 3.6.1 support in RELENG_5_0?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Jul 23 18:40:59 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Jul 23), Darren Spruell said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> >RELENG_5_0 is the branch for people that are running 5.0 on
> >production systems and only want security patches.  I doubt
> >RELENG_5_0 has many differences from RELENG_5_0_0_RELEASE.  You
> >probably want to track either HEAD or RELENG_5_1, since openssh
> >3.6.1 got imported before FreeBSD 5.1 was released.  Or if you want
> >to stick with 5.0, install the openssh port.
>
> Hope you don't mind me asking. I'm more familiar with OpenBSD's model
> which is strictly two CVS tags: M_m and OPENBSD_M_m which are
> -current and -stable respectively, with M being major version and m
> being minor version. So OPENBSD_3_2 tag would be -stable for 3.2 (if
> I understand correctly, that is...)
>

> What is HEAD and RELENG_5_1 in FreeBSD?

For FreeBSD, HEAD (tip of the cvs tree) is -CURRENT, RELENG_M is a
-STABLE branch (i.e. RELENG_4 is FreeBSD-4-STABLE, and RELENG_3 is
FreeBSD-3-STABLE), and RELENG_M_m is a security/ciritcal branch (i.e.
RELENG_4_8 or RELENG_5_1 will only get critical fixes applied to them).

When the time comes for 4.9 to be released, RELENG_4_9 will be branched
off RELENG_4 a couple weeks before release, and then the
RELENG_4_9_0_RELEASE tag will be laid on that branch, which represents
what gets burned onto CDs.

> It sounds like the tag RELENG_5_0 that I followed is little more than
> the critical patch branch for 5.0; how do I accomplish following the
> -stable branch, if there exists one: something in between strictly
> neccesary patches and possibly buggy Current?

Correct.  If you want -STABLE, you'll want the RELENG_4 branch, since
5.x has not been marked stable yet.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvs-tags.html has a good summary of all
the branches and what their purpose is.  If you want a stable-ish 5.x
tree, RELENG_5_1 is probably a better choice than RELENG_5_0.  Or scan
the -current mailinglist archives, find a week where there aren't any
"-CURRENT is broken!!" threads, and checkout a copy of HEAD from that
date :)

http://www.freebsd.org/releng/ lists all the branches and their current
status (open/frozen).

In general, HEAD is okay, and if it isn't, it's usually only a single
component (say groff, or a kernel module) that's broken, and that's
fixed quickly.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com